From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:16:02 -0400
Dave Cushman wrote:
>Hi Peter
>If you get alleles that are specific other races that is where the
>trouble starts.
>
>I see this as a flaw in 'total outbreeding' or saying 'anything goes'
>strategies.

Hi Dave,
I don't suppose there are anything like pure races in the USA; it is
doubtful whether they exist in the rest of the Americas and much of Europe
either.

I understand from a personal communication that in her experiment Heather
Matilla used unrelated drones but they were all Carniolans, so that supports
what you say.

We are still learning about the effect of diverse drone genetics, but you
must realize that the various bee types have been shipped all over this
country willy nilly for a hundred years. For this reason alone, I am
suspicious of the claim that the genetic pool in the USA is too narrow.

Weavers down in Texas have been selling what they call "All-American Queens"
for quite some time.

Pete