ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Aisha Glover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:55:07 -0400

Good Morning,

The Brooklyn Navy Yard is creating an Exhibition Center which
celebrates the rich history and industry of the Navy Yard.  Over the
last few years, the Yard has become a national model for sustainable
industrial parks (the Yard was decommissioned in 1966 and soon after
became an industrial park).  There will be a "Green Room" as part of
the Exhibition Center (though I'm slowly trying to change the name of
it!) which highlights how the Yard is green, the growing green
manufacturers in the Yard, the sustainability initiatives we've
implemented including the first solar-power trash compactors, the
nation's first building mounted wind turbines, wind/solar street
lamps, geothermal,  adaptive reuse of historic structures and
infrastructure upgrades to water, sewer and electric lines.

We'd like to develop an exhibit that demonstrates how we've reduced
our footprint in an interactive and highly visual way.  We have an
exhibit designer but we need to determine a few things:

1- how do we measure what we've done already and how that will play
itself out over the next 10 years or so
2- What are some existing exhibits that interpret energy use,
geothermal power, etc that we could visit

Thank you all for your feedback (and for reading this long mail!)

I'd be happy to chat with anyone further about the project

Regards,
Aisha

Aisha Glover
Director of External Affairs
Brooklyn Navy Yard Development Corporation
63 Flushing Avenue, Unit 300
Building 292
Brooklyn, NY 11205
718-907-5965-w