HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:40:17 -0400
An interesting response.

When we do archeological research we address individual specific situations
and contexts with research design but we are also imho obligated to present
our observations in such a way as to facilitate cross cultural, local,
national and world wide comparison.

While not  directly related to the individual inhabitant of the site or
structure being investigated it is still important to describe site
structures in terms of their relationships to others.

As I walk around in my cape cod suburb all the houses are the same, most of
the functions are the same, most of the incomes are the same. Artifact
choices vary with individual taste and fluctuations in income.
They are all domestic sites.

Trouble is that they don’t all look alike at all. Curation, cleaning of
yards, arrangement of objects  all vary but they fall into types quite
easily.

There are spectrums or variables which range from clean to messy, sparse to
cluttered, mowed-overgrown and perhaps others.

From most archeological reports I have seen I would get a simple assessment
of function and date and economics- yet important community dynamics are
reflected in the place an archeological structure finds itself on the
variables.
Trust me I have served as community association president for several years.

Once I took a picture book of Ariel photos of houses and communities of a
wide variety of cultures. I took many different ones and combined it into a
composite image. That is what we are dealing with. No community is truly
uniform-homogenous at some level important splits can be documented and
those splits have the potential to represent cultural fault lines which will
illustrate change.

I live in a cape code in a neighborhood of the same. No lawn just trees, art
environment not just classic garden gnomes, the only one in the entire
place. My archeological structures have resulted in many dynamic cultural
interactions and status changes over time. Cultural dynamic is oft shown in
the differences or personalization of archeological structures. But you wont
see them if you just call them all the same and forget to look.

If we are interested in anthropology we need to get beyond statement of
basics only

This does not have to mean more money or all that much more time but only
requires description of a few more dimensions and the construction of
typologies of site structural elements over time.

Such enhanced description of essential material attributes is important for
all levels of investigation.

Not all site contexts will yield information at this level of sophistication
so we have to apply it as often as possible to catch what we can.

Yes it may not be required. Yes it may not be funded to go the extra mile
but when you know these dimensions are out there is it ethical to ignore
them and to excavate sites to produce only a marginally useful account?

Conrad Bladey
Professional Archeologist
Peasant