HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Dart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:46:13 -0700
Assuming the artifacts you have are the leftover scraps from cut-outs, if
the cut-out pieces were circular they could be decorative button covers in
which the scalloped edges were crimped over the back side of the button to
hold the facing onto the base piece (which probably would be attached to
the clothing with a hoop rather than with buttonholes). Do a Google Images
search for the strings 'navajo silver faced button' and 'navajo stamped
silver button' to see the kind I'm talking about. If the cut-out artifacts
were from tinned cans instead of silver, they could be kind of a poor
person's substitute for silver-faced buttons.

Alternatively, the cut-out disks could be the actual backing pieces for
composite buttons that were cloth-faced with padded interior, with the
scallops used to crimp toward the face of the button to hold the cloth
facing in place. See examples at http://designedtothenines.com/?p=352 or
in Google Images searches for 'cloth face button' and 'fabric button.'

al

Allen Dart, RPA, Executive Director
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
PO Box 40577