HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:29:42 -0500
  Susan and other Histarchers,

Could it be salt water getting into the sherd? When salt water dries,
the formation of crystals can cause ceramics to spall/split.

Nearly all of my white earthen ware ceramics from a coastal Maine site
(c. 1800) were split. I think it was due to a combination of freeze/thaw
cycles and salt water. At this point most are from relatively close to
the surface.

Ben Carter