HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peter and Irene Priess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 14:55:04 -0500
A belated comment. In my research with Parks Canada collections from eastern
Canadian sites there would occasionally be a few copper nails. At least some
of these were associated with boatbuilding, specifically clinker boat
building. In this type of construction the planks are overlapped along their
length and their edges held together with copper nails driven through the
two thicknesses of wood and secured inside by bending or upsetting the end
over a copper rove or diamond-shaped washer. The nails were forged from
copper rod, generally having rose heads and flat points with untapered
shanks. The shanks were regularly marked with a stamped broad arrow,
identifying their association with the British military. The roves were
lilely cut from plate or flat stock and the holes were punched so that they
would have a ridge around them for additional strength.
From my understanding of the material, it is difficult to cast copper. The
few cast nails which I encountered in the collections I was working with
were either iron (very seldom) or brass. The brass nails were intended for
special applications such as forge bellows.

Peter J. Priess