HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 26 May 2010 14:29:40 EDT
Please send the article list and your Guidelines for this interesting
publication opportunity.

Roberta S. Greenwood, RPA
Greenwood and Associates

In a message dated 5/26/2010 10:06:18 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Greetings,

We are inviting academic editorial contributors  to a new reference work on
consumption and waste, or the social science of  garbage.

Archaeologists and anthropologists have long studied artifacts  of refuse
from the distant past as a portal into ancient civilizations, but  examining
what we throw away today tells a story in real time and becomes  an
important and useful tool for academic study. Trash is studied  by
behavioral scientists who use data compiled from the exploration  of
dumpsters to better understand our modern society and culture. Why does  the
average American household send 470 pounds of uneaten food to the  garbage
can on an annual basis? How do different societies around the world  cope
with their garbage in these troubled environmental times? How does  our
trash give insight into our attitudes about gender, class, religion,  and
art? The Encyclopedia of Consumption and Waste explores the topic  across
multiple disciplines within the social sciences and ranges further  to
include business, consumerism, environmentalism, and marketing.  Each
article ranges from 600 to 3,000 words. We are now making assignments  due
August 1, 2010.

This comprehensive project will be  published by SAGE Reference and will be
marketed to academic and public  libraries as a print and digital product
available to students via the  library’s electronic services. The General
Editor, who will be reviewing  each submission to the project, is Dr.
William Rathje, emeritus University  of Arizona, the top scholar in the
field.

If you are interested in  contributing to this cutting-edge reference, it
is a unique opportunity to  contribute to the contemporary literature,
redefining sociological issues  in today’s terms. Moreover, it can be a
notable publication addition to  your CV/resume and broaden your publishing
credits. SAGE Publications  offers an honorarium ranging from SAGE book
credits for smaller articles up  to a free set of the printed product or
access to the online product for  contributions totaling 10,000 words or
more.

The list of available  articles is already prepared, and as a next step we
will e-mail you the  Article List (Excel file) from which you can select
topics that best fit  your expertise and interests. Additionally, Style and
Submission Guidelines  will be provided that detail article specifications.

If you would like  to contribute to building a truly outstanding reference
with the  Encyclopedia of Consumption and Waste: The Social Science of
Garbage,  please contact me by the e-mail information below. Please provide
a brief  summary of your academic/publishing credentials in related issues.

Thanks very much.
Joseph K.  Golson