HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Benjamin Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 10:00:04 -0500
Dear all,

Thank you all very much for your information, especially to David Moyer
for the extensive bibliography.

You will all have to forgive me for my faux pas of calling my "window"
glass by the incorrect term of plate glass (Doesn't the term "window"
predetermine function? Are there other functions for "window" glass than
for windows?). Irregardless, I will use window glass from now on.

I was aware of Moir's equation, etc... but it is inappropriate for these
contexts as they are mostly surface, the sample size not large enough
for statistical significance and this is a preliminary report. To spend
all that time measuring shards of glass would not be well spent. I am
happy to spend time in such an enterprise- I spent thousands of hours
measuring nearly 10,000 shell beads and 1000 lithic drills for my
dissertation. Such an expense would not be productive in this case.

I was hoping that there was some big change in glass technology that
occurred where "window" glass went from having a colored cast (aqua,
etc.) to being very clear. I assume that transition happened when
decolorizing agents were used. Bill Lindsey (on the bottle
identification website within the SHA website) indicates that
decolorizing is quite old- 15th century, but he also appears to indicate
that decolorizing bottles was not common until the late 19th century
into the 20th century. That, of course, is in reference to bottles, what
about window glass?

Was there a point in time when decolorized glass become much more prevalent?

Overall, I have to admit that this is not a large issue for the
particular report that I am working on right now. If it was, I would
have spent much more time working on it myself. I sent the message to
Histarch in the hopes that there was a small, but important detail that
I was missing. Alas, I have not heard much on that point, though there
is likely something in Moyer's bibliography.

Thanks again for all the help and if anyone has more info on decolorized
window glass or anything else, I'd love to hear more.

Cheers,
Ben (not Bob) Carter