HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ann Raab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 16:43:32 -0800
I have used Moir's window glass formula with great success at my 19th century Missouri sites. It is important to note that it only works for 19th century glass, and of course only denotes a date of manufacture of the glass itself (not necessarily the structure). It is also useful to only measure glass fragments that are at least 1" in one dimension, since smaller pieces are harder to distinguish from panel bottle fragments, etc. Also, it is good to take 3 different thickness measurements for each piece of glass, and use the mean thickness for the formula. As noted earlier in this discussion, buildings that have been in existence for a long period will certainly have windows replaced in different time periods, so that has to be factored in.

I wouldn't use this method of dating window glass at my only means of establishing a chronology at a site, but when used in combination with other datable artifact types, it can be very useful.

Ann Raab, RPA
PhD Candidate, University of Kansas