HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tonia Deetz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 2009 10:44:59 -0500
i would suggest getting in touch with the state historic preservation officcer and see how this parcel needs to be handled with regards to human remains. There are different steps to go through in this circumstance even if the land is privately owned. It may be a long shot, and I am sure there are many loopholes. I would start to collect oral histories relating to these ashe scatterings, and get that in hand befire any determination is made. they may come in handy. there may be photos, video etc. You may also encoubter that many particioants in this tradition were in violation of laws, so you need to be careful about the exposure that may put on those who had been involved. At the very east your oral history collection could serve as an enduring part of the rememberances tere.

Tonia Deetz Rock