HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Allen Dart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:14:17 -0700
Here are some archaeology links; most are targeted at teachers but adults
may find them useful:

- Southwest Archaeology Today, an on-line news service operated by the
Center for Desert Archaeology: To subscribe contact Southwest Archaeology
Today at [log in to unmask]

- Arizona Archaeological Council Listserve (“AAC-L”), a discussion forum
for those interested in Arizona Archaeology: To subscribe contact
moderator Walter “Dutch” Duering at [log in to unmask] then you
can post messages at [log in to unmask]

- Archaeo-politics, which, as the name implies is about archaeological
politics: To subscribe contact moderator John Giacobbe at
[log in to unmask] or go to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/archaeo-politics/ then you can post at

- New Mexico Archeological Council Listserve (“NMAC-L”), for which
membership in the New Mexico Archeological Council (an organization
similar to the Arizona Archaeological Council) is not necessary for you to
subscribe to NMAC-L: To subscribe contact list manager Dave Phillips at
[log in to unmask]; to post, send message to [log in to unmask]

- Society for American Archaeology Public Archaeology Interest Group, from
a national-international organization composed mostly of professional
archaeologists: To subscribe contact Joëlle G. Clark at
[log in to unmask] To post, send message to

Other Links

http://www.americanarchaeology.org
The Archaeological Conservancy is a nonprofit organization established in
1980 to acquire and preserve America's most important archaeological
sites.  Old Pueblo Archaeology Center has arranged for owners of several
private properties in Arizona to donate significant archaeological sites
to the Conservancy so that they can be protected and preserved for future
research.

http://www.archaeologyed.askteacheronline.com/
ArchaeologyEd includes resources devoted to educational archaeology,
including lesson plans.

http://www.centerfordesertarchaeology.org/
The Center for Desert Archaeology, a private nonprofit organization,
promotes the stewardship of southwestern archaeology and historic
resources in the American Southwest and Mexican Northwest through active
research, preservation, and public education.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/holo/dembone.htm
Bone Yard is a paleontology (not to be confused with archaeology!) game in
which you can assemble bones using a simple click and drag system.

http://www.kidsdigreed.com/
Reed Farmstead Archaeological Site of the West Virginia Transportation
Department: Click on “Discovery Zone” for another virtual archaeological
excavation activity.

http://saa.org/public/resources/foredu.html
Links to archaeology “Resources for Educators” provided by the Society for
American Archaeology.

http://archnet.asu.edu/
ArchNet provides access to archaeological resources available on the
internet, categorized by geographic region and subject.

http://www.mtsu.edu/~then/Archeology/
“Archeology” is an excellent resource for educators who want to know more
about incorporating archaeology into their classrooms.

http://www.statemuseum.arizona.edu/
The Arizona State Museum is the oldest and largest anthropology museum in
the Southwest. Click on “Public Programs” to find information on its
collections, galleries, research library, archive and photo collections,
an online calendar and highlights of upcoming events; exhibits; tours
(including school tours); museum education; and related links.

http://www.crowcanyon.org/education/education.asp
In addition to offering campus-based education programs, Crow Canyon also
engages in distance-learning and public-outreach initiatives, provides
essential resources for both students and teachers, and shares its
educational philosophy, methods, and materials through a variety of print
and online publications.

New Archaeology
Archaeology articles and resources covering a wide range of archaeological
topics.

****

I also recommend the National Park Service's web sites for parks and
monuments that feature archaeology and history. To find all of them visit
http://www.nps.gov/findapark/index.htm.

Allen Dart, RPA, Executive Director
Old Pueblo Archaeology Center
PO Box 40577
Tucson AZ  85717-0577   USA
    520-798-1201 office, 520-798-1966 fax
    Email: [log in to unmask]

On Sun, July 26, 2009 7:36 am, Christopher Sperling wrote:
> I will be teaching a survey course in U.S. History to 1877 in fall.  I
am
> considering assigning a project for students to assess a public history
experience (historic houses, battlefields, volunteer w/a public
archeology
> program, etc.) and thought of websites that provided enough material to
equate with physically visiting a location.  I realized that my
> "recommended" list is heavily weighted to the Middle Atlantic, because
of
> my familiarity with the regional history and historic archeology.
>
> In an effort for geographic diversity, can anyone recommend favorite web
sites, appropriate for such a class assignment?