HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jane Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:17:21 -0700
I have a question regarding the burial of slaves that I would like to pose to the
group. Does anyone know of an archaeological example of slave burials that
were located immediately outside the perimeter of an established cemetery? I
have found several historical refences that mention the practice of burying
slaves near their "masters," but on the outside of the cemetery fence. Anyone
have any "ground truth" for this practice?