HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rich Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 21:52:18 -0400
There are plenty of folks who puff up and let everyone know just how
abhorrent looting is, and I'm sure it will occur again in this thread;
however, in the context of criminal prosecution, owning a 30 year old
collection of anything doesn't seem that important to me.

Incidentally, Texan justice works for me.  Just curious though, in your
opinion would this include all who show up with shovels to despoil human
graves?

I'm with you Bob. Let's get some armed Texans on that border down there, and
put some of that Texan justice on the dope smugglers while we're at.  Hell,
let's enlist some of those same boys to track down the thousands of serial
pedophiles and murderers in this country.  Surely, this vastly more
prevalent criminal behavior should make our hit parade?  Come to think of
it, why don't we let the Texans take care of the Gitmo problem?

There are plenty of crimes underway in Utah far worse than collecting and or
owning artifacts.  It is ludicrous to suggest that this should even show up
on the radar of a responsible Justice Department that understands its
priorities and is doing its job.  Surely you would agree that there are more
urgent criminal matters on their plate that they're pushing aside?  No, this
is just headline grabbing publicity that this Utah office and prosecutor are
after.  This prosecution really only generates the kind of noise that
pleases the few people who rank artifact collecting among the worst crimes.
According to the article, there are more people against this than for it.
In the end, a prosecution like this one supplants the real work that this
prosecutor should be doing.

I'm not a collector, and I don't particularly care for them as a whole.
Agreed, the hobby of collecting attracts all kinds including bad elements
and criminals.  But, I'd sure rather see my government try to put an end to,
or even a dent in, some of the more pressing problems of society.  And
again, there is plenty of work right there in Utah that is being bypassed
for this bullshit.

Whenever collecting is discussed on a list like this one, the talk always
turns to grave robbing and looting as if this is the sum of all collecting.
Truth is, looters are a relatively small element of the collecting
community.  Let's not forget that people collect all sorts of things; some
of which aren't even currently considered artifacts.  These collectors in
Utah didn't expect that their hobby of collecting would someday become
socially unacceptable when they began it three decades ago, and maybe this
doesn't excuse them, but they aren't all pond scum either.

Regards,

Rich Green
Historic Archaeological Research
4338 Hadley Court