HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 14 Jun 2009 03:23:13 EDT
Megan,

Although I have not heard of a hoe in a concealment, I suppose it is
possible. When they concealed coins, scissors, knives, pins, and needles, they
bent the items as part of the concealment ritual. If your hoe was not  bent
in some way, there might be reason to question the interpretation (like
maybe they were hiding a weapon or instrument of a crime). That said, the ritual
 and meaning of the practice most likely evolved over time between Europe
and  America. I would think that people continued a poorly explained
ritual, rationalized it in a Christian context, and made do with what they  could
find. Then there is the belief in "iron" and its magical properties. Some
people from the Old World ascribed iron as a material that could repel or
injure  otherworld spirits (depending on who you read).

And I should point out that not all items concealed are for ritual magic
(which, by the way, some authors spell "magick" to distinguish from the
garden  variety of illustionists). I once worked with a crew on a 1830s vintage
Mexican  era house in Old Town San Diego that yielded a cluster of a dozen or
so old clay  marbles. Just about everyone on the crew interpreted this to
mean a child hid a  sack of marbles under the dirt beneath the floorboards
and the sack rotted.

Since we are on the topic of concealments, I thought to ask if you found
buried horse bones under the floorboards? In Wales, horse skulls were buried
to  protect the future residents. In pre-Christian times, entire horses were
buried,  but the practice evolved to burying skulls. Horses played an
important role in  Celtic ideology.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 6/13/2009 2:14:52 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,