HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 2009 12:13:21 -0700
May 22, 2009
Hello all,
Does anyone know the introduction of the use of the gilt decorating wheel?  In her American Limoges book by Raymonde Limoges 1996, page 31, one is pictured and part of the caption says "Made of rubber, it was dipped in gold and used to make patterns on wares."  I looks rather like a pizza cutter but with a rubber wheel instead of the blade.  The wares in her book date as early as 1900.  I've failed to find anything useful on my internet search.
Thanks,
Susan