HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:14:21 -0700
Ron:

Hopefully, the 2nd Great Depression will NOT bring it back.  The recent
articles about some states wanting to exclude TERP projects from
environmental review to "create or expedite jobs" are disturbing.

It MIGHT be better to create jobs AND learn more about our past by reviving
major Depression era archaeological survey projects with modern
technologies.  That was the feeling of archaeologists I talked to at SCA. In
any case, a lot of governmental archaeologists and graduate students are
nervous.

The only bright spot seems to be with those environmental companies in
Nevada who are doing work for gold mining companies.  Other thoughts are
MORE than welcome!

Rich Lundin, WRI