HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:31:44 -0700
Susan:

Portable X-Ray Fluorescence (pXRF) units from a variety of manufacturers are
becoming commonly used in archaeological ceramic identification of the bulk
chemistry of the clays.  You MAY have several units available in Southern
California at major universities, museums or CRM firms that you can borrow
for the 5-10 minutes it will need for the analyses of your sherd and several
candidate sherds.

If you had been at SCA in Modesto last week and had a sample of your
material and samples of other possible candidates, Dr. Brackett or I could
have done the analyses for you on the spot with the new NITON XL3T unit that
was demonstrated at the conference and the Archaeochemical Workshop.

We just assisted in solving a plain ware ceramic provenience problem for
Stanley Klassen of University of Toronto at SHA in Toronto of some ceramics
from Jordan and for Dave Burley of Simon Fraser University at SAA in
Vancouver of some Lapita ware from the South Pacific.  For more on pXRF
technology see WWW.NITON.com for information from one of the manufacturers.
WRI and NITON in association with Georgia State University (GSU) will be
holding another Archaeochemical Workshop in Atlanta just before SAA and you
could either bring the samples to the workshop for FREE analyses, have a
colleague who is coming to SAA bring them OR send them to Dr. Claudia
Brackett at California State University-Stanislaus(CSUS) or to GSU by the
17th of April.

Alternately, you could have a representative of NITON stop by and analyze
your material and other candidate materials "on the spot" and give you the
data right then.

I hope this helps.

Rich Lundin, WRI