HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Doms, Keith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 12:56:27 -0500
My firm found one at a site near Allentown PA that dated to the first
half of the 19th C.  It was a plate with a black transfer print of a
rural scene with the motto "He that by the plow would thrive, Himself
must either hold or drive".  The Marley had molded daisy like flowers in
low relief.

There are some good examples at Independence Park Archaeological Lab in
Philadelphia from the excavations for the Constitution center.

A good reference is:
Riley, Noel
1991	"Gifts for Good Children: The History of Children's China
1790-1890".  Richard Dennis.  The Old Chappel, Stepton Beauchamp,
Ilmister, Somerset

Keith Doms