HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:39:13 -0500
 Jake -

I found about a half dozen C and D cell batteries (with carbon rods) at Fort Johnson last year in a deposit dating between 1930 and 1941. I found (thanks wikipedia) that dry cell batteries were invented in 1898.

Stan South found carbon arc light rods in his excavations on campus (the Horseshoe) at USC. I did lab analysis. As I recall, those rods were thicker and longer than dry cell battery rods, and drawn to a symetrical point on the arc end. You could probably get access to those and measure them for comparison.

I'll put measuring battery rods on my list of things to do....

Carl Steen