HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:40:01 -0700
We found this metal strip at a feature near a sheep trap driveline in Wyoming.
I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what type of can the strip was
keyed off of. I know it may be from a meat or coffee can, but are there any
other types of cans that utilized the key and strip?

Also, if anyone is well versed in tobacco tins, I have an unhinged tobacco tin
that closes with two tabs that fit into the tin that was found buried in the
feature that was associated with the cairn the strip was found in and am
trying to figure out an earliest possible date from the style but not having
much luck. Any ideas?

http://s529.photobucket.com/albums/dd335/dch92284/Metal%20Artifacts/

Thanks for your time.

Dave Harvey