HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:49:38 -0500
FYI,
carol mcdavid

CALL FOR PAPERS: IJHS

Heritage and Community Engagement: Collaboration and Contestation

We would like to draw your attention to a call for papers for a special themed volume of the International Journal of Heritage Studies, which seeks to re-examine the nature of community involvement in the heritage sector. Our rationale behind this proposal is that while there is a lot of noise in policy and practice and a profusion of case studies about 'community' involvement, participation and consultation, we do not believe that, on the whole, it has been quite as successful, even in its own terms, and all-encompassing as the rhetoric suggests.  As such, we are putting together a double 'themed' volume that both critically examines dominant notions of community engagement and provides a series of case-studies illustrating a more genuine and inclusive practice and perhaps even some alternative frameworks and theorisation. How successful have attempts been to relocate community engagement away from professional and purely instrumental approaches and towards the communities that they seek to address, and, moreover, are new modes of address possible?

Links to the original call for papers are below, including the abstract deadline, contacts, etc.

http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13527258.html

http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/cfp/RJHScfp.pdf

Steve Watson and Emma Waterton