HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Mohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:34:39 -0400
Nan,
I would recommend looking at In the Angle of the Woods: Archaeological and Historical Investigations of the Sprott Cemetery (31MK1081**), New South Associates Technical Report 1506, by Hugh Matternes and Terri Gillett.  The Sprott (also spelled Spratt) Cemetery was located during the expansion of the Carolinas Medical Center-Mercy in Charlotte, NC.  About 13 graves were uncovered, dating back to about the 1770s.  One of the graves was that of Thomas Spratt, reported to be the first white settler in the Mecklenburg County area (1740s).

The report is currently under review for publication by the North Carolina Archaeological Council (NCAC).  You could contact Tom Beaman, NCAC Editor, for more information ([log in to unmask]).

Paul J. Mohler, Archaeologist II
NC Dept. of Transportation
Project Development & Environmental Analysis
Human Environment Unit-Archaeology Group
1583 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-1583
(919) 715-1555
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:52:40 -0400> From: [log in to unmask]> Subject: urban cemeteries> To: [log in to unmask]> > Hi all,> > First I want to thank the many respondants who answered my (and Diana > Wall's) query last year about urban site reports. We are working our > way thru the material you sent and it has been very helpful.> > We have another question: does anyone know of excavations in white or > Euro-american cemeteries? We have information from African-American > cemeteries, and there are gravestone studies from Euro-American > cemeteries but we cannot find examples of excavation in the latter > (which is interesting, of course).> > Thansk again for any information you have,> > best,> Nan> > Nan A. Rothschild> > Research Professor> Barnard College> 212 854-4315> > Director of Museum Studies> Columbia University> 212 854-4977
The i’m Talkathon starts 6/24/08.  For now, give amongst yourselves.
http://www.imtalkathon.com?source=TXT_EML_WLH_LearnMore_GiveAmongst