HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
paul courtney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:22:43 +0100
Interesting piece though it confuses productivity and efficiency.  Why
is it small farms in France are vanishing despite pro-active government
policies- presumably they produce better quality products and may well
be more productive per hectare but they simply don't produce enough
profit to buy that widescreen tv and send the kids to  to the mountains
unlike the mega agri farms with thousands of hectares. Peasant farms
presumably have enormous problems with access to the market, access to
credit as well as debt- hence the importance of co-operatives and
fairtrade agreements.