HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 2008 23:43:33 GMT
Jim- You might check with the Laboratory of Tree-Ring Research at U of A to see what they advise?  I know we used to use parafin dissolved in "white gas" (coleman fuel), then wrapped like a mummy with string.  I have heard that the Tree-Ring lab people really dislike this as it is nasty (and unhealthy) to deal with in the lab, so maybe Tim's recommendation is current "state of the Art?"  It also would depend on what you thought was the primary value of the specimen, for tree-ring dating or museum collections/future research.- Mark

Mark Henderson
Chupadero Archeological Resources, LLC
Henderson, Nevada

-- Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I would use Acryloid (Paraloid) B-72 (SKU: F4022-001) diluted with
acetone.  You brush it on as the wood dries during excavation.
Repeated coats will consolidate the first few millimeters of the
surface, then once in the lab you can submerge a section of the wood
and impregnate it.  This treatment is reversable using acetone.
There are also trademark products.  Try this website:
http://stores.homestead.com/conservemp/Detail.bok?no=703
Cheers,
Tim

On May 16, 2008, at 10:30 AM, Doms, Keith wrote:

> Elmer's glue is proprietary which means its formula can change with
> out
> warning.  It is also irreversible.  If the wood is not oak, a high
> weight of carbowax is recommended for waterlogged wood and might do
> the
> job.  It will be a long process.  You are bound to loose some of the
> surface during treatment due to the weakness of charcoal.  Freeze
> drying
> then applying some sort of surface consolident might be of use.
>
> Keith

You will believe your eyes! Click here for great whale watching packages!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2221/fc/Ioyw6i4uExDCvdC7EqD6xHOzwIBnrf7HUSjRSNOhw6hGJkijVImz4r/?count=1234567890