HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 03:40:35 EDT
Jake,

The issue of electrolysis softening ferrous metal is interesting. I am not  a
metallurgist, so I do not have an answer. But I do know that heating
different  metals and cooling them in materials such as a box of fine charcoal, oil,
sand,  or soda ash will do different things to metals. I distinctly recall
working  brass and copper and dipping them in oil and sand for certain effects.
Copper  softened so that it could be easily hammered, then got brittle and the
process  had to be repeated. I expect someone will come up with the answer to
your  riddle, but just wanted to drop this memory into the pot.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 4/11/2008 11:01:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,