HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"John M. Foster" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 16:25:59 EDT
I'm working on a ca. 1870 courthouse.  It has two privies which have
contemporary artifacts.  The larger privy is 8 x 8 feet and the smaller is 4 x 8 feet.
 They are separated by 8 feet.  I have two questions for the list:

1. has anyone been able to find historical references to construction of male
AND female privies for a public institution?

2. Has anyone excavated male and female privies in a institutional framework?
 Or in any other context?

The artifacts we recovered were lost in use and not as a result of a "filling
in process."  I will remain silent on the artifact list until I see some more