HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"D'Angelo, James (Atlanta,GA-US)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 11:28:18 -0500
That's one of those objects you say, "I feel I've seen that before," but
have no idea what it is.  Sorry.

But I have one we excavated at a frontier fort site on Hog Mountain, GA.
The historic component of the site contains, almost exclusively,
artifacts and features from a late 1790's fort and its replacement
during the War of 1812. Since the site was cultivated up until the
1970's, there are a few, but very few, wire nails and not much else
post-fort except, possibly, this one. It (and some other mystery
artifacts) can be seen at,
(http://www.thegars.org/MysteryArtifacts.html.  We sure would like to
know the what and when of this one.

James J. D'Angelo, RPA, Ph.D.