HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:09:57 EST
Some years back, I took a seminar in museum administration and we examined
an exhibit set up for urban children in one of the larger cities a museum
labeled "Mysteries in History." The focus was a large blown up photo of a 1950s
vintage alley with a rusted tricycle and various toys scattered around. You
know, things like marbles, tops, and hula hoops. The exhibit cases then
explained how many children in the early 1970s did not have a clue as to what  those
rusted and oxidized objects were in their world. I came away with several
observations. First, the title of the exhibit was very catchy and could be used
for just about anything to stop a visitor. Second, "common" objects quickly
get  forgotten in the swift flow of time (geezers see time differently than
children,  by the way). So, I developed a number of exhibits over the years at the
Naval  Submarine Base San Diego in the Bachelor Officers Quarters (which
conveniently  is a way station for visiting Congressional leaders and a way to
influence  politicians on the value of archaeology). These exhibits varied from
18th  century Spanish artifacts to 20th century U.S. Army artifacts and they
were  exceedingly popular (until someone remodeled the lounge and our exhibit
got  booted). Objects like that stove burner are a case in point that each
generation  quickly forgets something common to earlier generations and we can
capitolize on  those mysteries in history to capture the hearts and minds of
people who we want  to treasure the past.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 1/23/2008 7:09:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,