HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:49:53 -0600
Mary,

Scan all the materials and burn the files to double-layer DVDs (CDs are
ultra passe). It will all fit onto one stack of DVDs probably small emough
to store in a cigar box.. The old bugabear about "who knows how long CDs
will last" is simply a cop-out to permit one to avoid the unpleasant task of
doing the scanning work. I have CDs that are over 20-years of age that are
still just fine (I have backup copies I made 10 years ago when the first
alarmism about their longevity was bandied-about). CD blanks cost $1 each
back then; I can get them for 10-cents each now ... and the DVD blanks (each
of which holds 20x as much data as the CD) now cost $1 each. The better
(archival quality) disks cost $3-$5 and are projected to last,
conservatively, 100-years ... so make copies every 50 years. How odious a
burden can that be? With the present burning equipment installed in my home
computer (the burner cost $42 thru Egghead Online) I could copy all your
data (after you've done the hard part and scanned it), in one 8-hour day (I
could work on other stuff whilst the burner was running ... you just have to
flip a new blank in it every 8-10 minutes and hit a couple of on-screen
buttons to start the next) onto DVDs for probably less than $50.

C'mon, how much cheaper could it be to assuage your screaming conscience? Do
the right thing.

Bob Skiles
"There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth,
without either virtue or talents ... The artificial aristocracy is a
mischievous ingredient in government, and provisions should be made to
prevent its ascendancy."

- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)