HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tim Mancl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2007 10:44:00 -0400
I suggest looking at period books on plumbing also (although, if
army, you might stick with a military manual). A plumbing book that I
have (R. M. Starbuck. 1919. _Standard Practical Plumbing_.  Norman W.
Henley Publishing Co. New York) shows filter tanks for water supply
and septic. The illustrations show that neither the placement of
drain or inlet pipes within the tanks, nor the filtering medium/
method necessarily distinguish one system from the other. Lacking
evidence from the arrangement of pipes (e.g. does the outlet go
toward or away from a structure), the key in your instance might be
the lack of a means for drainage in the final pair. This would mean,
as you've assumed, that the system is for water purification. Septic
systems always have a means for drainage (pipe or seepage), while if
for water supply, the outlet could have been through the top via a
pump, and thereby, not visible in the bottom or sides of the tank.

Tim Mancl, RPA
Heite Consulting
Frederica, Delaware