HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 03:59:32 EDT
Bob,

I am pleased you followed this closer than I did and kept the citations.
Hoaxing is an odd way for people to advance their careers, but certainly not
unknown. Out here, a skeleton called the Yuha Man was recovered by a notorious
pot hunter who brought the bones into the Imperial County Museum. Then Jeff
Bada  did his infamous amino acid racemization test on the bones and everyone
thought  they were 20,000 years old. Someone finally put a cork in Bada's
research and  all his dates were discredited. But then the Native American claims for
bones  started coming in and suddenly "someone stole the bones." I think the
pot hunter  stole them back because he was afraid someone would expose him for
a hoaxer. By  this time, he probably is no longer with the living and the
bones are long gone.  Crazy stuff, this.

Ron