HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Sep 2007 10:06:03 -0400
There's a whole "town" from the pre-Civil War 19th century on Long
Island in Bethpage, NY called "Old Bethpage Village" composed almost
entirely of houses moved there from around Long Island. They have some
interesting "re-enactments" (summer horse racing) and other events
there and an air-conditioned vistors center. I recall the
philanthropist Andrew Carnegie's baby rocker there in one of the small
houses...

Nearby the Grumman Co. started as a small machine shop in the "cradle
of aviation" and went on to build the Lunar Excursion Module, from
pieces manufactured in small machine shops all over Long Island I was
told by one of its organizers, so no one had the "big picture" until
after final assembly. They recently joined with Northrup and while
shovel testing "out east" saw the last two F-14s fly they had built.
Eighty (80) had been delivered to Iran, purchased by the Shah, and
over 4000 Grumman employees were once in Iran outside "Teheran" (old
spelling?) training their air force to be ready "Anytime, baby" (from
their shoulder patch). Grumman was once the single largest employer on
Long Island, about 25,000.

Some house moving, huh? To the Moon...