HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:25:02 -0400
Geoff

I'm not sure that I agree with your characterization that the use of
stratigraphy by Smith is a case of  "circular reasoning".  Circular
reasoning, at least as I understand it is where you really have no
basis for your statement or theory, but you proceed step by step
until you have returned to the beginning and then say "see it works".

I don't see what Smith did as "circular reasoning", more applying a
technique or idea from another discipline, or cross pollination. If
borrowing is circular reasoning then much of archaeological theory
and practice, including Marxism, is equally invalid because it is
circular. There is nothing inherently wrong with co-opting/adapting
good material and theories. Why waste all of the time necessary to
produce only original ones, when other scholars are doing the work
for us?

And while much of what antiquarians did, and it could be argued still
do, was bad. It was from them that archaeology developed. Hopefully
each generation does a better job than those who came before. But we
all have to build on some foundation.

James Brothers, MA, RPA