HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 05:32:27 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2007 2:05:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

But it's  probably unfair to blame the excavators for their ignorance.
Rather, their  mentors were at fault and all should work to correct these
deficiencies. No  amount of behavioural, processual, post-processual or whatever, theory
and  class work will correct flawed data by excavators who don't fully
understand  the dirt.

Tim,

It also pays to work for a geologist who has a healthy distrust for
archaeologist's explanations for soil development in archaeology sites. I worked  for
such a guy for two years and it was really a learning experience. I kept
scrambling in archaeology and old geology texts to defend my ideas and he tossed
them back with equal vigor. This was pre-bioturbation theory.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.