HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:30:07 EDT
Although my example is not actually historical archaeology, I applied
Michael Schiffer's transformational model to a changing prehistoric landscape in  a
proposed district of over 200 archaeological sites at Table Mountain (which is
 now a National Register Historic District in San Diego County, California).
There were historic mining sites, so I suppose Anita will not kick this
reply. I  found the model clumsy, but instructive because it forced me to isolate
the  processes of changing soil conditions that built up, shifted, masked, and
churned the various sites in different geological settings. I also published
a  version of that paper in the Pacific Coast Archaeological Society
Quarterly in the 1980s. But my point is that Schiffer significantly  contributed to my
thinking at a critical time, just before I commenced  investigations of a
1796 Spanish fort ruin.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.