HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 05:32:34 EDT
While I worked for the County of San Diego, my office received a panic
telephone call that a bulldozer "vanished" while scraping up an asphalt parking
lot. It seems the asphalt covered an early 20th century brick factory with about
 20 large circular kilns and dozens of brick-lined tunnels that redirected
heat  from one kiln to the other. The tunnels were crammed with all sorts of
holly  clay tile and other stock they forgot to clean out over the decades. After
a  series of frantic telephone calls, County Mental Health (who were building
a new  center at the location) let a contract to RECON, a local contracting
company and  they produced a nice report on the testing, mapping and sample
recovery. Copies  of the report can be obtained at the South Coastal Information
Center, San Diego  State University. Susan Hector authored the report. We also
had Karl Gurcke  flown out to render his opinion on the complex. Ironically,
the kilns were built  from bricks shipped down from the Los Angeles Brick
Company.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.