HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 12:35:28 -0400
Hi everyone,

I hope that the article is a poor summary of this book.  If not, this
is really scary.  I can't believe that someone could make statements
like this in the modern world.  Is this author totally ignorant of
major critiques of colonialism?  To claim that capitalist society is
less violent than pre-capitalist or pre-industrial society is very
odd (and, I would expect, rather hard to prove in a quantitative
manner).  To suggest that foragers are lazy because of their genetic
profiles is simply taking a page from colonial administrators who
suggested that they could be treated as children or degenerates.
Surely Mr. Cage must have foreseen the serious concerns that would
come from scholars in biology, history, and archaeology- if not in
economics.

I'll read this book before I make more judgments, but I'm very
disappointed in the NY Times for publishing such a simplistic review
of this book.

Best,
Tim