HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
geoff carver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:17:27 +0200
a long time ago, all that data was collected & recorded & archived somewhere
(hint: the sun still never shines there) & basically disappeared...
right down the memory hole: as with schroediger's cat, it might as well have
never existed...
now: if you record it, save it in a spreadsheet, put it on a webpage... it's
going to be available to anyone who wants it; and nobody knows yet who wants
it cuz nobody has really started looking at what happens to primary data,
who uses it & where it goes, partly because there is so little available so
far...
so your boss could have had a point up to a few years ago; now we have the
potential to actually put a lot of that data to use, if only people would
stop cutting corners & record & disseminate it in a format that that makes
it easy to use...
i mean: why else do we spend money on all these fancy computers? just so we
have a more expensive typewriter & can send e-mails to each other?
when does your boss start planning to actually do some comparative analysis
with his data?