HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 18:58:57 -0400
I know, I had tried to get my dad's and my uncle's WWII service records last year, but something like 80 % or more were lost in a fire and all you get is their enlistment records (which is what is showing up on Ancestry.com0.  That's why I was surprised to see the announcement that service records were available.  The Civil War entries are providing some service information like personal physical description, when discharged and why etc, but not the depth of detail that you get when you request the Civil War service records from the National Archives.

If anyone is researching a Civil War veteran I encourage them to send a request to the National Archives, the information is much more detailed and you get copies of the actual papers.  Also, if you know someone was in a veterans home (like the one in Dayton Ohio for example), they sometimes have information on post Civil War stuff like length of stay, cause of death if they died there, and so forth.  Also next of kin is listed.

Jeannine Kreinbrink