Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2007 18:58:57 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
I know, I had tried to get my dad's and my uncle's WWII service records last year, but something like 80 % or more were lost in a fire and all you get is their enlistment records (which is what is showing up on Ancestry.com0.  That's why I was surprised to see the announcement that service records were available.  The Civil War entries are providing some service information like personal physical description, when discharged and why etc, but not the depth of detail that you get when you request the Civil War service records from the National Archives.

If anyone is researching a Civil War veteran I encourage them to send a request to the National Archives, the information is much more detailed and you get copies of the actual papers.  Also, if you know someone was in a veterans home (like the one in Dayton Ohio for example), they sometimes have information on post Civil War stuff like length of stay, cause of death if they died there, and so forth.  Also next of kin is listed.  

Jeannine Kreinbrink

---- Bob Genheimer <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 
> Jeannine
> 
> The US military considers many of the service records to be privliged information.  You can apply to see them (those that have survived), but my understanding is that you have to be a confirmed family member.  I am currently applying to see my father's WWII service record.
> 
> Bob Genheimer
> George Rieveschl Curator of Archaeology
> Cincinnati Museum Center
> 1301 Western Avenue
> Cincinnati, Ohio 45203
> 513-455-7161
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
> [log in to unmask]
> Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2007 9:26 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: important genealogical database comes online
> 
> 
> Civil War records come up as service records, but every name I have typed in for WWII just shows the enlistment record. My grandfather's WWI record shows up only as a draft card.   I know that most of the WWII service records at least were lost in a big fire, does anyone know if any of the later service records are included at all?
> 
> Jeannine Kreinbrink
> 
> 
> ---- Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 
> >  
> > In a message dated 5/27/2007 7:28:12 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
> > [log in to unmask] writes:
> > 
> > Ancestry.com has recently added the complete U.S. war service  records,
> > from Jamestown through Vietnam, to its online search engine ...  truly a
> > remarkable accomplishment!
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > Hear hear! And, I might add, this new addition of military records involves  
> > the lives of 90,000,000 U.S. members of the Armed Forces. The mid boggles. For 
> >  added testimonial, Mike and Ann Polk introduced me to this amazing source.
> >  
> > Ron May
> > Legacy 106, Inc.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
> 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2