HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2007 16:53:14 -0500
Hey, Carol!

Is dissection a new conservation technique I haven't heard about? *chuckle*
There's no need to slice-and-dice your battery to get a peek at its innards.
There are great illustrations in that authoritative (ca 1919) Gutenberg
reference Marty provided ... start reading on p99 for an excellent discourse
on the construction & functioning of a dry cell, and the illustration is on
p103:

www.gutenberg.org/files/15617/15617-h/15617-h.htm

Although there were about 25 manufacturers of carbon rods in the U.S. by
1900, the National Carbon Company (now subsumed within the giant Union
Carbide) was the major manufacturer, and probably produced more than 70% of
all the rods for commercial batteries by 1900.

"The National Carbon Company was founded in 1886 by the then Brush Electric
Company executive W. H. Lawrence. The company would supply carbon items
needed in electrical devices such as carbon-arc electrodes, motor brushes
and rods used in carbon-zinc batteries. That same year the first commercial
battery went on sale. It was a carbon-zinc battery introduced by National
Carbon Company. In 1898 the  National Carbon Company introduces the first D
cell battery. In 1905, National Carbon Company which had supplied "Eveready"
with materials for their batteries, bought a half interest in the company
for $200,000. Conrad Hubert remained president and there was little change
in the general policies of the company. The name was changed to "The
American Ever Ready Company". In 1914, American Ever Ready became part of
National Carbon Company now forming a manufacturer specializing in both
batteries and lighting products."
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/battery.htm

Incidentally, the carbon electrodes that were first used in the dry cells
were based on earlier research work done by Charles F. Brush (Brush Electric
Company principal) developing improved carbon rods for lighting and contacts
for the commutators on generators and motors. To this day, the carbon
contacts in appliances like electric drills, saws and vacuum cleaners are
known as "brushes."

Bob Skiles
~~~~~~~~
Pleistocene extinctions? Clovis kaput? It was the bolide, stupid!