HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"paul.courtney2" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 21:18:55 +0000
Of course Jamestown does have triangular bastions as evidenced by Bill
Kelso's excavations and they occur on other sites like Martin's Hundred
albeit adapted to the circumstsnces and threats of the new World.
England was backward in this period re fortifications but economics
played an important part - the English were only too familiar familiar
with Dutch and Spanish fortifications of the late 16th century from
fighting in the Low Countries but lacking money or the ability of the
hapsburgs to make subject towns pay for their own defences - they used
the Dutch model of low cost earth and timber fortifications in Virginia
and in English Civil War.

paul courtney
leicester