HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mark Branstner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:48:08 -0600
Jeremy,

You're going to have to define your terms ...  What time period? What
do you mean by the Northeast? And what wood species do you mean?

For me, the Northeast is New England ...  By the mid-late nineteenth
century I would consider the westward export of timber from that
region to the Midwest or Plains would be close to zero ...  However,
the likelihood of getting red or white pine (for example) from
Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota during the latter half of the
nineteenth century would be near a certainty.  As would hardwood
species from the late nineteenth - early twentieth centuries.  I have
no knowledge of the nature of the lumber trade from more southern
climes (e.g., Arkansas, Missouri, etc.) during the same period.

Mark

--

Mark C. Branstner
Historic Archaeologist

Illinois Transportation
Archaeological Research Program
209 Nuclear Physics Lab, MC-571
23 East Stadium Drive
Champaign, IL 61820

Phone: 217.244.0892
Fax: 217.244.7458
Cell: 517.927.4556

"Liebe: eine Gleichung mit zwei Unbekannten"

- Gerhard Branstner (1927- )

"There is also an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth,
without either virtue or talents ... The artificial aristocracy is a
mischievous ingredient in government, and provisions should be made to
prevent its ascendancy."

- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)