From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 12:06:04 -0400
>Also, note that consumers have a very negative reaction
>to food that has been irradiated even though the
>process does nothing but good.  (Yet another example of
>the price of a of basic science education.)

I'm sure comparable things were said about asbestos fifty years ago (or
about above-ground testing of nuclear weapons), and I'm sure skeptics were
similarly derided as lacking even basic scientific knowledge.  In any
case, the "nothing but good" claim is as preposterous as the claim of
complete knowledge that it rests on.  It may be true that narrowly
considered *so far as we can scientifically prove to date*
irradiation "does nothing but good," but plenty of things are true that we
either haven't tested or haven't been able to prove.  (Yet another example
of the price of a basic history education.)