From:
Eric Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:44:05 -0400
I'm with Nick, I think.  The mere speculation of a link between Aussie
imports and CCD leads me, first and foremost, to fear further
unanticipated problems from imports from Chile, for example.  Global trade
in general has enough problems.  Global trade in live organisms is even
worse.  I say close the borders, especially to commercial imports,
especially from Chile.

Here's a question for the list: if Australia had had small hive beetles
prior to the arrival of small hive beetles in North America, and if small
hive beetles hadn't been any worse for Australian beekepers than they are
for South African beekeepers, would Australian imports still have been
approved?  Being cynical as I am toward the system, I'm inclined to think
yes.  How many hypothetical failures do we need to "realize," so to speak,
before we learn our lesson?