From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 08:15:06 -0400
Bob Harrison wrote:
> Should not we study first and then decide?

Amen. If you read the various articles on it in the scientific studies
releases, there are more questions than answers.

One is that it does appear in non-CCD colonies with no problems. Its
symptoms do not match CCD. KBV is also present in 3/4 of the colonies.
It appears that Varroa may be involved, but that does not match prior
statements.

All that is really said is that it is present in all those CCD colonies
that the Penn people tested as CCD. But the real CCD problem occurred
first in the mid-west, not the east. And, as I have previously stated,
some of the eastern colonies had major Varroa problems.

Many virus were found in bees long before Varroa and Tracheal. It was
not until the mites arrived that virus became a major problem with bees.
I know that some are tired of my mantra, but the real problem is mites.

BTW, since the problem is now solved (stop imports and destroy all
Australian colonies, right?), do we still need funding to find the cause
of CCD?

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine