HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:08:16 EDT
My mind keeps popping up issues. During the San Diego State University  field
archaeology at the 1782 chapel within the ruins of the 1769-1835 Royal
Presidio de San Diego, we learned that after 1835 people relocated down near the
river, but continued burying their dead at the old Catholic cemetery. As the
adobe walls of the chapel dissolved and sloughed over to fill the rooms with
rubble, people began burying their dead by digging through the wall rubble and
had to hack through the old tile floors to bury the dead beneath. The floor
must  have been too shallow to bury on top at that point in time, which says
something  about the cultural decision of how deep is deep enough. Paul Ezell's
archaeology  field school had removed all the rubble fill inside the chapel by
the time I  arrived in the Spring of 1968. You could clearly see about
fifteen burials  hacked through the floor. Two turned out to be the remains of Henry
Delano Fitch  and his daughter, both were recorded as having died in 1849.

Ezell contacted the Fitch family, which had branches in the United States
and Monterrey, Mexico. A large contingent came up for a reunion at the grave
site. Their consensus was they wanted Henry and the daughter to remain buried in
 the park. This happened before I arrived, but Ezell assigned me to the crew
to  rebury Fitch. We covered the skeleton with six inches of decomposed
gravel, then  sealed it with about four inches of cement. I recall we did a pretty
sloppy  job of smoothing the surface, as we really did not know cement work and
how fast  the stuff set up. After it set a bit, Ezell scratched something
into the  surface. When it all dried, we then buried it and none are the wiser as
to where  Fitch and his daughter are buried.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 6/24/2008 7:46:02 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,