HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:46:14 EDT
George raised an interesting side issue, who defines a cemetery? For
decades, the State of California defined a cemetery as the location of six or  more
human interments. During the early years of the National Environmental  Policy
Act and California Environmental Quality Act, archaeology recoveries of
prehistoric human remains in lesser numbers raised the ire of Native American
groups, who lobbied the State Legislature and definitions were changed to one
single human interment as constituting a legal cemetery. That should settle
that, but as recently as this past  year, one archaeologist questioned  whether
the location of 29 human interments at the University of California, San  Diego
campus constituted a cemetery. So the question comes down to whether or  not
the people who did the burying considered it a cheerer or not, as opposed to
the existing state law. Or does it?

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 6/24/2008 7:22:28 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,