HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 13:07:50 -0400
Another anecdote about U.S. Army Fort Rosecrans in San Diego, California.
During my 1981 investigation of the 1796-1835 Spanish/Mexican fortification
ruins of CA-SDI-12,000, my crew uncovered a burned U.S. Army building from
1916-1922. In the burned floor was a smashed glass tank associated with various
metal parts and several carbon rods. One of my 70-year old volunteers informed
me he saw identical auto batteries in his grandfather's garage (the auto dated
 from around 1912) and we carefully bagged the items as contributors to
understand the feature. Had we separated the glass, metal and carbon rods, no  one
would have understood the function later on in the lab. This little
circumstance served as a lesson in historical feature documentation and guided  future
lab and curatorial work for years.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.