From:
Jerry Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:40:30 EDT
David  Fourer wrote:

> Has any method been developed to positively identify  what flowers the bees
are going to?
We had a speaker at our local club who does a lot of pollen  analysis
identification in honey.
I came away with the impression that although some pollens are perhaps  easy
to identify,
many are just by pollen family and an electron microscope would be  necessary
to get the
magnification necessary for a specific flower ID.

I often see lots of different colored pollen loads coming into my  hive, but
the honey is usually
consistent in color throughout a super, leading me to believe the bees are
pretty consistent
in staying with the same type nectar source even with many different  pollens
in the honey.
A combination of taste, color, pollen ID and harvest season  factors ought to
give you a decent
ID of your nectar source.