From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Nov 2007 06:34:31 -0800
I watched the trailer, and like Ruth, my ignorance reminds me that silence is the better part of discretion.  I just don't know enough to really make an informed opinion.

  However, let me open my mouth and confirm what they say about the village idiot.  First, I totally disagree about the notion of "overworking" bees.  They were designed to work and no one forces them to work.  They live to work and provide for future generations.  The same overworking argument could be applied to my clock in the kitchen.  Am I overworking it by allowing it to run 24-hours a day, 7-days a week?  Should I not turn it off when I'm at the office during the day?  Nonsense!  Clocks were made to run.  Bees were made to forage.

  My other thought was on the assessment and determination of what CCD really is and do I have it?  It seems we've lost a lot of bees lately, but CCD has some very particular symptoms.  Last spring some local beekeepers lost their bees.  When asked about what they saw when they opened the hive they basically described a tiny cluster that froze because it could not generate enough heat to move another 2" to reach the honey.  And they're asking, presuming and concluding they have CCD.  How many other mismanagement errors are being blamed to the no-fault conclusion of CCD?

  And the news media seems to salivate over anything that represents doom and gloom.  I've given up on depending on any catastrophe-driven "news" media to give me an accurate assessment of what's really happening in the world.

  Grant
  Jackson, MO